ICL is the new Instrument Command Language for laboratory test instrument programmers.
It is the first scriptable object oriented language that communicates in real time with the processors of test instruments to control and execute simultaneously different tests with different test equipment without in-depth knowledge of the test instruments nor the often equipment vendor proprietary software commands. ICL turns large or complex test campaigns with several settings and actions into a comprehensive, logical and easy programming job. This is possible thanks to ICL’s high level interpreter with self explaining universal test commands and syntax that controls directly and individually each test function of the test instruments. Users consider ICL more as a configurator rather than a programmer as of the multiple use of scripts and subscripts that allow for seemless integration of all different test equipment in one universal test platform with activation, state and logging buttoms that can be made visible in a customized GUI, if required. Distinguishing features to Tickel TCL, Pearl, Python, Scheme or Java, are in the real time dynamic programming of embedded functions, the short learning curve, and the many pre-defined scripts available in an extensive list of application notes, Standard scripts, and proprietary test scenario's.
ICL is a superb powerful tool for test engineers and test laboratory managers to automate their tests and to keep it up-to-date just in days after new test requirements are released. A typical application in a DSL test lab with ICL / CNI pre-defined scripts:
- Load the physical loop simulator parameters according TR-100 NA
- Load the noise files of TR-100 NA
- Initiate table A.1-13: ADSL2plus - test profile AU-RA-I-3000K, Test 9
- Select Modem 2, Select DSLAM port 12
- Wait for DSLAM and MODEM Showtime, register scychronization time
- Wait 60 seconds, and read the US/DS, Margin, INP, Attenuation, Mode, type numbers
- Measure DSLAM Traffic, Measure CPE traffic with VoIP packet profile N2X
- Pass / Fail recommendation
- in case of fail: Increase loop length 24 AWG BT with 1 dB
- Repeat 5-8
- in case of fail: decrease noise level with 1 dB
- Repeat 5-8
- End of test, Initiate A.1-13: ADSL2plus - test profile AU-RA-I-3000K, Test 10, repeat 4-12
ICL programming with automation scripts is a no-brainer when calculating the ROI of a test lab equipped with Sparnex Instruments.